{Shedding Summer Skin}

10:56 AM

"I don't recall a single care. Just greenery and humid air. Then Labor day came and went. And we shed what was left of our summer skin.."- Death Cab For Cutie


Like most teenagers, especially girls, I adore summer. With constant warmth radiating over your skin, laughing into the cool nights with friends, bbq and fresh fruit, staying up until the early morning and sleeping until its after noon... Driving with the windows down as the gentle breeze rushes through your hair. Flip flops, cut off shorts, tank tops, and sunglasses. If you are fortunate enough, there is sand between your toes at some point, as you play in some sort of water. Whether it be the hose in your backyard, a creek, river, lake, or (the best) an ocean. Every now and then, you sometimes experience a "summer love" (Cue Justin Timberlake's song that may or may not have played over 100 times on my ipod in the past 8 weeks...)

This summer was possibly my absolute most favorite summer I've experienced yet. I don't say that because I say every summer is my favorite or because my summer was "perfect". (What does that even mean?) I say that because it wasn't perfect, but my word, was it fantastic...

On May 19th, I graduated from High School (Reason #1) with some of my dearest friends. My family flew out for this special day and we had a good time together, as far as my family goes. The day before my graduation, my best friend/heart twin, left for a mission trip to Mexico, working with deaf kids for 11 weeks. Don't get me wrong, I was stoked for her! This was a dream she has been aching to fill and I knew without a doubt that it was where she was supposed to be. I am human however, and was bummed out she wouldn't be there to celebrate with me. Even more than that, I was sad she wouldn't be there to go through the summer with me.

Fast forward to June (because nothing really happened until then). I worked at a camp nearby called Wings Like Eagles, a horse vaulting program that works with kids of all ages and abilities. Same as last year, I was a vaulting coach, which means I am in charge of teaching 25+ kids how to safely do gymnastics tricks on the back of a moving horse. Unlike last year, the 2 guys that helped me teach (actually, it was more like I helped them. They were beasts.) moved and were unable to help out. Sooo, I basically had to train two 9th grade boys to become coaches AND coach the campers. No pressure. Somehow, I lived through that whole mess and surprisingly had a wonderful time with the campers. At the end of the two weeks, the 9th grade boys were like my brothers. In all honesty, it was pretty fantastic.(Reason #2)

In the midst of sweat, horse muck, child noises, and leadership struggles, I found my summer love... Wow, that sounded even more cheesy than it did in my head. Regardless. (Reason #3) It was more like my love found me during the summer heat. You see, this boy and I met waaaaay back in 10th grade. We were partnered up in Biology (no, not chemistry... Though there was some, if ya know what I mean ;) He has dark brown hair, fair skin, and blue eyes I consistently get lost in. Typical? Not even close. The thing about this boy that is so flippin' attractive is that he truly understands me. In the middle of camp, we went to get coffee and sat at the edge of the lake in our town. I think it was the first time we had ever hung out, just the two of us for an intentionally long amount of time. Levi and I talked for literally 5 hours. (Helloooo summer!) From our favorite books to Disney movies to analyzing characters to guns to graffiti to cooking to places we want to travel. (Told you. Five. Freaking. Hours.) We named a muskrat, "Tony", and counted the cars on the trains passing by as the sun set above the mountains. We flirted (Nothing new. We were kinda flirting buddies before) and joked. The night grew cool and Levi got his jacket from his car for me to wear. (He said he brought it for me because he knows how I'm almost always cold) We lay down on the combination of sand and thin grass and watched the stars... Out of nowhere, Levi began to sing one of my favorite songs, the one that I was singing in my head. (We can read each others minds. NBD) He took me home and walked me to my door. I gave him a hug goodbye and he held me longer than expected. Right as he slowly released me from his arms, he kissed the top of my head, "G'night.." I murmured a goodnight back and went inside. Part of me was like, "Did that really just happen?" And the rest of me was like, "It didn't mean anything, you're just his buddy." Turns out I wasn't just his buddy because the beautiful blue eyed wonderful kid kissed me while we were watching a movie at my house a few days later. My exact thought when that happened? "Oh my word. Levi actually finally kissed me. ME!!" Wanna know what he said? "I know. I actually finally kissed you." (See? Its like we have the same brain or something) (Also... Reason #4)

A lot of wonderful things happened over the summer, things that are too deep and too serious for this silly boy-raving post. (Reason #5-9)

I won't prattle on further about this guy and his eyes but I will say that its been difficult to accept the fact that this was really just a "summer love". I would have been totally okay with it becoming a real relationship, but the timing just isn't right. So I shed my summer skin, try not to cling to August, and embrace the fantastic reality that he is still my best friend. Because even after we decided "we" wouldn't work at the moment, he is still my best friend. (Reason #10)

I couldn't ask for a better best friend.


~ Kayla Joi

You Might Also Like

0 comments