Brick Wall

1:30 PM

December 9th, 2016 will forever be a day I’ll never forget. I had been up pretty late tending to some demands of my new job. I didn’t sleep well when I finally did go to bed- the old familiar waves of anxiety and restlessness were crashing on top of me and I was annoyed with being drenched. I woke up late in the morning and saw several messages from a family member, asking me to call them and that it was urgent. In my sleepy state of mind, I had managed to come to a conclusion of what the call would be about. I couldn’t have been more wrong. My family member spat out some words and they didn’t quite register. I asked her to repeat herself, and she did. Her words left me feeling as if someone had unexpectedly punched me in the sternum and then banged my skull against a brick wall.

Someone I had known from our infancy and had been very close friends with since, was killed in a car wreck earlier that morning. Truthfully, she was more like a cousin of mine than just a friend. (I realize that doesn’t give the best context, because some of you may be in the unfortunate situation where you don’t know your cousins at all, or if you do, don’t like them much. However, my cousins and I are the closest of friends). She and I had grown up together, our moms were best friends too. Even though my family moved to another state when we were 5 & 6, we saw each other a few times each year, and faithfully wrote letters for almost a decade. I have over a hundred memories of us playing together, talking for hours upon hours as only girls do… We made dozens of pinky promises, dreamed of all the adventures we’d go on as adults, and often would lay on the grass of her family’s lawn at night while we watched the stars. We shared laughter, tears, frustrations, questions, encouragement, and happiness. We would whisper under the sheets about the boys we thought were cute and discussed our ideas and beliefs of God, life, and the way people operate. We loved antique stores, especially ones containing old books. Watching the sun set on the rooftop, swimming, picking vegetables in the garden, cuddling with cats, and Sonic runs during the summer. Baking cookies and sweets, making tea and coffee, listening to her play the piano in the Fall and Winter. We had the idea once for her to compose a song and I would choreograph a dance to it. We never got around to that one... Even after high school, when our lives got much busier, we stayed in touch through sporadic texts and long phone calls. Once we went a whole year without talking to each other, neither of us liked that fact, but we effortlessly picked up our friendship as if no time had passed at all… She was going to in my wedding, if that day were to come. But now, suddenly, she is gone.

It’s like being robbed, something felt stolen. A piece of my heart had been ripped out without a warning. I’m left with a giant hole and a hundred questions.

This brings me to the real stuff, the process, the grit and hardship I’m left to face: the questions.

You see, I know that God is real. More than that, I know my friend knew Him too, intimately in fact. I know that God is good, abundantly good. I know that He loves me, and loved my friend, more than my temporal lobe will ever be able to fully process. I know that my friend is with the Father right now. I know that our Savior, Jesus is One who Heals. I have personally experienced “small” miracles, and have been present to witness “big” miracles. I know that He loves surprising us with miracles, revealing Himself through them time and time again. I know that God is ubiquitous. I am confident that Jesus was with her as she was driving early that morning. I have personal stories and experiences that have brought me to these conclusions, ones that line up with God’s character as depicted in Scripture. Through my experiences and learning, I also know that God hates death.

I keep hitting this brick wall, and can’t seem to get past. It’s as if I’m playing Mario Bros. and if I go under the brick and hit it enough times, it will spring forth a tall plant and lead me to a secret place of treasure that provides deeper understanding about life, death, and God Himself. But how many times do I have to hit that damn brick before the plant will emerge? It’s the age old question I "used to" know the answer to... Why did God let her die? My old answer (that was essentially just me parroting what have heard my whole life) is no longer is one I agree with or even believe to be biblical. I just am not satisfied, as it no longer rings true to the Jesus I have come to know over the past few years. The Jesus that isn’t distant, the One that doesn’t turn a blind eye, the One who empathizes and feels more than I because He cares more than we are capable. Jesus doesn’t walk away, He doesn’t dangle Himself over us saying “if we can do better, be more holy, then we get more of Him.” No. We get the fullness of God right now! We don’t have to do anything extravagant to earn His love, and we certainly can’t lose it. Jesus is the One who makes beautiful things out of dirt, who trades us our dirty rags for a cloak of righteousness. He stepped in- and took it all upon Himself, so that we may experience what it’s like to be a daughter/son of the Creative King. It was much easier to process death before I knew all this- who Jesus truly is.

There is this worshipful song by John Mark McMillan that he and his wife Sarah recorded and released in July of last year. It captured me the first time I heard it, and over the past year has continued to meet me as a comforting friend during some tender moments. A particular part of the song goes, “You’re never gonna let, never gonna let me down.” I have clung to that line as a promise from Holy Spirit. Yet right now, I am finding myself disappointed by God. I feel let down, knowing that Jesus was completely and totally capable of sparing the life of my friend. Honestly, it’s incredibly scary to even admit this… I have been wrestling and wondering with the idea of me even being allowed to feel offended and let down by Jesus. I know in Matthew 11, Jesus stated, “blessed are those who are not offended because of Me”. Now, it’s in slightly different context, but nevertheless has been skipping through my mind and heart usually at night and in the morning. Last night when I got home, I laid in my bed for two hours and ended up audibly yelling at Jesus that I sure as hell was offended by Him, that I felt betrayed by Him. It’s a bizarre feeling, being extremely angry at the only One you know can bring you peace, comfort, and healing… I haven’t had a ton personal experiences with God as Father, but I did last night. I felt like a four year old who was throwing a tantrum, and while knowing that it wasn’t going to do much good, needed to release the intense built up emotions that were caused by the parent’s action. And yet, that same four year old who desperately is still wanting to be close and be held by the same parent. Unlike human parents, God isn’t flawed. He is the perfect Parent. So... What then?

Perhaps a slightly deeper issue I found this morning is, I am afraid that God isn’t as good as I think He is. It feels like there has been broken trust between us (and lemme be upfront when I say I have trust issues to begin with). How do I still trust Him now? How do I bite the hand that feeds me, but end up staying around long enough to then hold the hand again? What do I do with this fear? I suppose I’m not really asking you... Though if you feel compelled to respond, I’ll gladly read it and probably develop a conversation with you. However, this is more just where I am right now- today.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. You're ending questions that as you say is "just where I am" I feel are the same questions that every Christian who has lost someone who was a huge piece of their life. Especially when it's someone who is at no age or place to be so forcibly taken from us (I truly truly am sorry for your loss I have been there too..). I responded very different from you however, instead of yelling at God or pleading with him I simply walked away. While I never stopped believing in Him I did lose my relationship with Him. And
    it got to the point where I was scared to enter a church for it made me physically sick from shame and hurt and regret. So while I will never fully understand where you are the way I see it is this,
    You're yelling and questioning at hurting that you're throwing at God could possibly be the best thing for you. As you said he is perfect and he can take it. So while your body and spirit needs all this to spill out to avoid an even greater explosion, He will continue to love you just the same. As you said He hates death meaning to me that He greaves it too just like we do. And really he lost a daughter, a child of his that He created so I know He does not feel it lightly.
    I don't know if anything I said helped but I truly hope your processing becomes easier and less painful soon, just never lose sight of what she wanted for you and she'll continue to smile on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, first of all, thank you for reading this and for commenting. I am so so sorry for the loss that you experienced, whenever it was. I know that hole never goes away... But I hope you have been able to find healing. Thank you for sharing from a personal point. I appreciate your encouragement. Peace unto you friend =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss. Your writing is beautiful. Thank you for your raw honesty and not shying away from the questions and wrestling with what you've always believed. Have you heard of Sarah Bessey? I highly recommend her book, "Out of Sorts: Making Peace with an Evolving Faith." Though I haven't experienced the pain you speak of here, I have been through a time of questioning things I've always believed, throwing out the simplistic answers that don't satisfy anymore, and searching for truth. Sarah's book has helped me sort through a lot and has played a huge part in my journey through this. She has essentially helped save my faith. One of my favorite parts of the book, which I hope will help give you some comfort, is when she talks about the sovereignty of God. (Don't worry I'm not throwing a platitude your way.) She says, "Sovereignty is redemption, not causation." I've always looked at his sovereignty as the cause of things, but she's saying it's his promise to redeem the situation.

    Some other quotes I liked were:
    "I didn't learn how to lament and grieve, how to pray and be in community until I learned that God could be trusted. God is against the evil and suffering in the world. He is not the origin of evil nor does He "use" evil as a means to justify some cosmic end. God fights evil. I couldn't trust God if I suspected God was behind my deepest griefs and injustices. This is where the sovereignty arguments break down for me. I don't blame God for much anymore. I see God as the rescue from the injustices, not the cause of them. I see God as the redeemer of the pain, not the origin of it. I see the promise of sovereignty not as hyper control over the minute and painful details of the world, but as a faithful promise that all things will be restored, all things will be redeemed, all things will be rescued."

    "Sovereignty is a promise, not a threat."

    "I am learning that it is okay to feel sad and to be angry, to long for rescue and redemption, to pray and shout and cry, to weep with those who weep."

    "I am learning not to pretend that sadness doesn't exist or that is has an easy answer or that God is to blame. I'm learning to not avoid it or ignore it."

    "Sometimes the most holy work we can do is listen to teach other's stories and take their suffering into our hearts, carrying each other's burdens and wounds to Christ together, in faith and in lament, together."

    And a quote from a friend, "Jesus stands in the pain with us. Try to cling to Jesus, He clings to you, is weeping with you and as much as we can, we will weep and walk with you as well. As long as it takes."

    Sorry to bombard you with so much, there's just so many good ones! I know for me, I felt deeply what she was saying about not being able to trust God when she believed God to be behind our pain and suffering - which is what a lot of Christians are taught when they are taught the idea of sovereignty. I take comfort in the idea that it is more about a promise to redeem.

    Also, God appreciates your raw honesty with him. He'd rather that than you pushing your pain aside and pretending to be okay with what happened. And he will sit with you in the pain, as long as it takes. And I hope you have a community that will sit with you as well.

    Sending much love your way.

    ReplyDelete